Avocado Nutrition - Avocado Health Facts - Avocado Calories
California Avocado Nutritional Benefits
Avocados are a nutrient dense fruit, a healthy substitute to high-calorie foods, and a perfect ingredient in homemade beauty products for moisturizing skin and hair.
Dr. William Esser writes in his Dictionary of Natural Foods:
"The avocado is one of the most valuable foods which nature has given man. For those concerned about eliminating meat from their diet, this offers not merely a "substitute,” but a food which is much superior in value for human maintenance. It is rich in protein and fat and comparatively higher than any other fruits in these elements. The fat is more digestible than animal fats.”
Top 10 Reasons To Add Avocados To Your Diet
- Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals, giving you numerous health benefits.Source: California Avocado Commission, CaliforniaAvocado.com
- Avocados act as a "nutrient booster". Nutrients in other fruits and vegetables are enhanced when eaten with avocado. When you eat an avocado with other food it allows your body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha and beta-carotene. For example, eating a salad with avocados allows you to absorb five times the amount of carotenoids than a salad without avocados. Source: California Avocado Commission, CaliforniaAvocado.com
- Avocados have mono and polyunsaturated "good" fats that are recommended as part of a healthy diet; they can help reduce blood cholesterol levels and decrease your risk of heart disease. Source: California Avocado Commission, CaliforniaAvocado.com
- Avocados contain phytonutrients, which are thought to prevent many chronic diseases. Source: California Avocado Commission, CaliforniaAvocado.com
- The oil your body absorbs from eating avocados keeps skin young and glowing.
- Avocados are packed with antioxidants that have been shown to help prevent breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- One serving of avocado has the same number of calories as one serving of other popular fruits like cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and pineapple.
- An avocado's creamy consistency makes it one of the first fresh fruits babies can enjoy. Avocados can be an important part of your baby's growth and development. You can easily provide your child with homemade baby food using avocados.
- An avocado's nutrient rich contents makes it a perfect food for recovering and competing athletes of any level.
- Avocados contain 60% more potassium than bananas, which helps protect your body against hypertension, heart disease, and other circulatory problems.
Read more about the nutrients in avocados and the health benefits
for you and your family.